It’s crazy how long it’s been since I wrote an actual article. So, I thought I’d give you some tips so that you don’t fall victim to the same stuff as me. And with this one, it’s Epoxy Resin.
Firstly, if you’re buying molds, instead of making your own, then make sure to ready the description of the item. We often buy based on what the picture looks like but I can promise you it’s probably going to be 50% smaller than the pictures depict. No joke…
Of course, that’s not the sellers fault. It was in the product description what it was going to produce but here we are.
Next we need to talk about mixing resin! Getting the right measurements of Resin and Hardener is extremely important – because if you don’t get the right amount, you will now get it to cure. And if it doesn’t cure, it takes the piss to get it out of the mold… Or does it? (We’ll get onto that a little later). So, how can you make sure to get the right amount? Well, don’t get a plastic jug to measure it because that jug will be ruined. Getting resin off plastic, with or without Acetone, is almost impossible and you don’t want to be mixing old, cured resin into your new creations. So, before you go ahead and buy that fancy looking resin mixing cup – swap it out for something a little more eco-friendly, cost efficient, and easy to clean! Silicone mixing tubs.
You can get bigger ones if you have a bigger project but these are fantastic! You can turn them inside out once the resin left overs are hardened and just peel them off. No staining, no stickiness, no mess to clean up. And they have measurements on them. For example, if you’re using Fast Cure and use 100p + 25p, you can use 80p Resin and 20p Hardener. But remember, the more you pour, the more you have to mix. I learnt that the hard way.
HOW DO I GET UNCURED RESIN OUT OF THE MOLD?!
I was asking the same thing less than three hours ago. I poured resin into a jewellery box mold – it was perfect. But after a couple days, it just hadn’t cured. It was tacky to a point that it would mishape the resin when you pull your finger back. It wasn’t working. I thought it was the temperature because I work in a cool-ish room, mainly because I can’t deal with heat. So, I moved it to a warmer room. Still didn’t set.
So, today I tried to remove the tacky, liquid resin from the mold… And it wasn’t going well. I tried scraping it out of the lid of the jewellery box and it took 30 minutes. And it’s a TINY mold… After the thirty minutes, it still wasn’t clean.
I googled it – and the best thing I could find was “put some acetone on it, let it soak, then scrub”. Now, I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t have time or patients to scrub Resin out of an intricate mold for three hours.
Then I thought, if I can’t harden it with heat… Could I harden it with ice? I went straight downstairs, shoved the molds into the freezer and a couple hours later (while wearing gloves of course), I cracked the resin and peeled it out.
Don’t waste your time scrubbing and using acetone and rubbing alcohol! It takes sooo long and it’s a waste of material. Just shove it in the freezer overnight and peel it off. You’ll be fine.
And finally, WEAR GLOVES! I hate wearing them, so I keep not doing it but please learn from my mistakes! I got resin stuck under one of my nails so I’ve had to cut my nails back and I’ve definitely damaged the bed of my nail. So, please… Pretty please. Take care of your delicate hands and yourself!
I may end up with some more tips, but you can find more of my creation fiascoes on my own site: www.T3ddyDesign.com